The Power of Acceptance
Discover Humanity’s Highest Purpose; How to Wake Up
I'm a recovering control freak. Motivated by the fear of failure as a younger man, I learned the power of loving all that is. It's a daily practice that lasts for a lifetime.
If you or anyone you know is suffering through a dark, dreary night of the soul, let me assure you that suffering is the gateway to serenity once we learn to surrender to the power within us all; infinite, bright, all-loving Light that goes by many names.
Wisdom knows I vastly overestimated my ability and underestimated all the risks. Wisdom knows how little we know and control. In fact, other than our God-given conscious minds, we control nothing, if not the delusion that keeps us in the dark.
I hope my article shows people the way to acceptance, detachment, and sustained serenity. My article is about waking up based on my direct experience of being a selfish jerk too often.
As a result, I am humbled.
Waking Up Is Our Highest Purpose
Countless teachers, saints, sages, mystics, monks, and creative, outlying misfits have shown us how to wake up to know our highest calling is to wake up.
The path to waking up leads us to acceptance, detachment, grace, and virtues instead of vices. Waking up goes by many names depending on our age, culture, family, and teachings as a child.
- Enlightenment is a term commonly misunderstood. There are many paths to "waking up," depending on culture and faith. Enlightenment is the path anyone can follow to improve their awareness by letting go of the selfish and harmful tendencies humans embrace. Some describe a "burning bush" experience that's transformative, and others report a more gradual and progressive path.
- Bodhi is the Buddhist term for one who is enlightened. When people asked Buddha who he was, he said, "I am awake."
- Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)
- Self-realization is commonly used in an Eastern context.
- Self-actualization is the term used by Abraham Maslow in the…